Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Anger and Emo Management

How do one avoid being emo and angry? I think it can only be done if you have a good control of your emotions. You are in charge of yourself and not let emotions take over you. Obviously it's easier said than done but the least one can do is to minimise emotions from taking over. Last time I prefer to keep everything inside me and not let it out. However, it is not the best way to handle my emotions. I would eventually become worst. Nowadays, I would immediately release my emotions whenever I need to instead of pretending that everything is fine. Since problems will be faced sooner or later I'd rather solve it as soon as possible. Why waste time?

Whenever I have an argument I would think about it and learn from it so that similar incidents would not happen because of that particular reason. It would be a pity and waste of time to argue because of the same reason over and over again. I remember being very stubborn whenever I'm in an argument. I wouldn't want to take a step back and listen to what others say. Every word I hear seems to be just floating around my head and did not pay attention to them. I would usually take about a day to cool down and then I would only be willing to really listen to what the other person has to say. It did not bother me at that time about the amount of time the other person had to spend just to make me listen.

So, if one is just willing to calm down quick and really listen, problems are not a problem anymore. Throw away the selfish side and think from the other person's point of view for a second, and you will realise that you are not the only one feeling unhappy about the problem. Everytime when I think that I'm the unhappiest person on Earth, I would think about other people in the world who is suffering 10 times more. That would definitely make me wake up from thinking I'm the most miserable person ever.

Being angry at someone is actually quite a difficult task. Having to find reasons and remind myself the reason to be angry is tough. It is easy at the beginning when there is so much anger in me but after awhile the reasons start to fade away. When I slowly get my brain back to normal state, the reason is not strong anymore for me to be angry. For example, person A did not agree with person B in a group assignment and so they started arguing. Is it possible to be angry for a long time just because of different thoughts and opinion? To me, finding a solution awhile after being angry would be good. Instead of asking why are you this and that it's better to ask how to solve this and that.

No comments: